[sword-devel] New member intro: Jonathan Compton

JECompton jecompton at gmail.com
Thu May 15 22:17:41 MST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list. I'm a prefield teacher with Wycliffe headed for
Indonesia in January. I will teach computer science and help run the
network there... Although the job will change according to need.

I've benefited greatly from open source software and wanted to give
back. The last few weeks I wondered how I could give back. I decided
nothing could be more worthy than something like the Sword Project. I
want to start small. I completely agree with the warning on the project
website regarding the need for commitment. I can only devote about an
hour every other week at this time, but I hope my availability will grow
as my interest does.

Here's a profile of what I feel confident doing:

- Proofreading, reporting typos (B.A. in English and Spanish)
- Basic end-user testing on several OS (Ubuntu, Win2k/XP, Debian, others
if needed)
- Some C/C++ experience (my first language, although I am still pretty
basic)
- Beginning-intermediate Java (can build a GUI, made a crude tennis
reservation system for a class, various other)
- Decent amount of linux sysadmin (comfortable w/ cron, ssh, setting up
apache, various other servers, grep, and some bash scripting)
- Took a class in Scheme
- Ruby scripting (currently my best and favorite language, but still a
beginner)
- Read a textbook on general software systems design
- Various other along the way (mysql, php, python, rails, latex
openldap--just ask, I've probably dabbled w/ it)
- I will be learning Indonesia starting in January, and perhaps some
Korean.

If someone will let me know what I can do w/ the amount of commitment I
can make, I don't care what it is if it will help the Sword Project.

Blessings,
Jonathan Compton