[sword-devel] SWORD 1.5.11

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 18:16:50 MST 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 3:52 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>> DM wrote:
>>
>> ****Old Software on CD******
>> Also, is there any intention of getting the most recent version of
>> MacSword, BibleDesktop, GnomeSword and BibleTime on the CD?
>
> Yes, all software needs to be upgraded.  I'm not so worried about most
> of the packages as I am about all the modules, BibleCS, MacSword, and
> BibleDesktop.  The other software is usually installed via the
> user's OS
> repo.

I have updated BibleDesktop to a pre-release of 1.0.8. This is better
than the prior version and fully supports all 1.5.11 modules (as far
as I know).

With Manfred's permission, I have also updated MacSword/Eloquent to
the latest from svn. This is not built with 1.5.11, but 1.5.10. This
is far better than MacSword-1.2.1, which it replaced. If Manfred is
able to provide a version compiled against 1.5.1, I'll help getting
that on. Note: Both MacSword and Eloquent are being supplied as disk
images because they are unable to run effectively from the CD. That
is, they cannot use modules on the CD.

I think BibleTime should be deleted from or updated on the CD. There
are several versions on the CD and the most recent is from 2003, with
more recent source from 2005. I think it might prove a bit confusing
to users. Since the most popular distros include it, I don't see it as
a problem to remove it, even if no replacement is provided. If Eeli,
or another BT dev, can provide the replacement code, I'd be very happy
to help and get it on the image.

Also, Cheetah, the precursor to GnomeSword, makes no sense to me to
have it on the CD.

There is other stuff that is also very out-of-date that should be
deleted or updated. I realize that Troy's deadline is tight and may
not lend itself to cleanup. But, I'd like to suggest that after the
release we start with a new "latest" for the CD. The current contents,
being split between "latest" and "archive".

In Christ,
	DM