[sword-devel] English Bible Versions

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Thu Mar 27 00:46:43 MST 2008

Hi there .............

Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> First comment is that Steve DeRose is confusing paraphrase with idiomatic
> translation

This comment applies to a number of translations.  I especially note the
TEV, which is not a paraphrase, but one of the most reliable modern
translations.

Troy - did you intend discussion of this item to take place here, or had
you intended that we submit comments directly to Steve?

My initial comments: TEV and NRSV - both available in 66 book
versification, Catholic versification and 66 book + Apocrypha.  This
does not warrant the note 'Catholic' against that versification as the
translation is the same: it is just the versification that is altered.
Both the above translations are recognised as 'reliable' as they are the
result of a translation team drawn from each of the major traditions
including Evangelical, Liberal and Catholic.

NIV - this should be listed as 'Evangelical'.  Many scholars have
concerns about the bias of this translation as the NIV translation team
is drawn entirely from the Evangelical tradition and includes no
Catholic or Liberal input as far as I am aware.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United
Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for
our church homepages).

Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com