[sword-devel] GPL and source code

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Mar 22 04:13:14 MST 2008

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:50 AM, peter <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>>  You will appreciate that your obligations according the GPL are a bit more.
>>
>>  1) If you rebrand the software (which you appear to have done) you have
>>  effectively altered its sources and must advertise this fact + provide
>>  the altered sources.
>
> This is correct.
>
>>  2) If you distribute the software you must be clear to the customers
>>  that this is GPL free software. Before they buy. I see no such reference
>>  in the material on the website. In fact the website makes it appear that
>>  this is your software. Which is not true.
>
> I'm not so convinced of this one (and yes, I have just read through
> the GPL).

"provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy
an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact
all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any
warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this
License along with the Program. "

I think a lot hangs on the "conspicuously". I would think if you are
tied into a contract before you had a chance to read the "conspicuous"
notice then it was not conspicuous at all. But maybe I am wrong here.
IANAL etc.

But even if I am right, the main problem Thinkall and all similar
outfits probably have is not with the GPL but with the FTC. Which is
bad enough a problem to have... We are hardly in a position to enforce
GPL compliance beyond blacklisting.

Peter

 I do not find that item 1 says this.  It says that the