[sword-devel] Future MacSword

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Thu Mar 20 01:21:35 MST 2008

Am 20.03.2008 um 05:01 schrieb Nathan Youngman:

> On 19-Mar-08, at 2:32 PM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>
>> Eh, svn:external?
>
> svn:externals would be especially useful if you were working against
> the trunk of
> Sword, and/or wanted the option of committing changes back to Sword
> itself.
>
> otherwise...

well, I thought of building against the SWORD trunk instead of the
downloaded release version.
So there is also a makefile that uses a checkedout "trunk" folder. But
I manually checked it out to buold against it.

>> There is a folder sword_mac_build where you just need to call:
>> make -f Makefile_default build-release-fat (not exactly sure about
>> the
>> target name)
>>
>> That's all.
>
> That works quite smoothly... the README in the root just was outdated,
> so I updated it. [38]

Hmm, yes it probably was outdated. Thanks.

> not build-debug-fat??

depends. If you want to debug the SWORD library then you should choose
this target.
But the library will get much bigger.

> I skipped the make install_config & make register steps that the build
> mentioned. Maybe I shouldn't have, as I'm getting something a little
> funky.. could also be related to MacSword trunk or something else.
> I only have one Module installed... ESV. The book drop down is in
> Hebrew for some reason, and it's not functioning.

I'm not doing the make install_config & make register either. The
problems are probably due to many changes in the trunk lately.
But Hebrew??? That's strange.
The default module folder now is ~/Library/Application Support/Sword.

>> Eloquent is the name of the new Project which is hosted on Google
>> Code:
>> http://code.google.com/p/eloquent
>>
>> But as we said, it would be good to change the name to MacSword 2 or
>> something. And I will move the things to the SourceForge MacSword
>> repository.
>> The trunk of Eloquent project is currently only a module installer
>> based on a cleaned up port to Objective-C 2.0 of the MacSword SWORD
>> backend classes. I added some new classes for install sources and
>> such.
>>
>> wrapper, own Framework. Well, yes. I tried it but the current
>> MacSword
>> wrapper is not capsulated enough. It accesses many other things which
>> it shouldn't . So first some more cleanup is needed.
>> But actually I would like to do this for MacSword 2, not for the
>> current version.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> If we can keep garbage collection optional for that lower level, it'll
> work for an iPhone port which would be pretty cool :-).

Yes, the backend used in Eloquent which I would use for MacSword 2 is
using the GC because I didn't know that iPhone has no GC.
But that's ok, I will put in the deallocation again. As long as we can
use the Fast Enumerations and Properties it's fine.

>> I created them a couple of months ago but actually never posted to
>> them.
>> But of course they can be used.
>> And for internal development they IMO should be used at least the
>> developer mailing list.
>
> We certainly could... though I don't mind talking here, if nobody else
> minds.
> Having Troy and others chime in with a helpful tidbit is always good.

Yes, defenitely. That's probably why there were no user and developer
mailing lists.

>> Yep, Core Animation for example. Actually I didn't see it in action.
>> But also the nice Dashboard like floater windows are really cool.
>
> Ah, yes... the HUDs (heads-up-displays)... esp. for full-screen.

Yep, the HUD. :)

>> There is the tag for 1.3.1 which supports Panther.
>> The old trunk was a 1.3beta version, Will tried to merge something
>> from the branch that I created into the trunk a long time ago.
>> So I tagged this 1.3beta before I moved the branch to the trunk. This
>> one still has the Lucene stuff.
>> And there are also still some 1.2.1 sources around.
>> But actually the only version I can think of back porting anything or
>> doing critical bugfixes is 1.3.1.
>> If someone is still using Jaguar than it is time to upgrade.
>>

> So on the web site we will end up with three version available:
> - 1.2.1 for Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
> - 1.3.1 for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and 10.4 Tiger
> - and eventually the new Leopard-only version
>   I imagine we should have some clean ups and do a 1.5 before a total
> UI overhaul for 2.0.
>   baby steps

Yes, three versions.
The current version 1.3.1 also supports Leopard, btw.
I was thinking the next version should be 1.4 (the last before 2.0).
It will have dropped Panther support and the module installer will be
put in.
Also I would like to use Sparkle (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/)
for update checking. It is really nice. Also some cleanups here and
there. Which I already have done mostly. That's probably why it is not
working correctly ATM. ;)

> SF is pretty strict... even donations need to be through their system
> (if we still want
> to keep that button... they take 5% + PayPal's fees).

Was there any donation? I haven't heared anything about that in the
last two years.
Do we drop the button? Why not. I don't need donations. If I have time
I will work, if not, then not. Donations wouldn't help, except maybe
to pay the domain.

Manfred