[sword-devel] Luther1545

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jun 18 18:52:50 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:

> I have curiosity questions. Is it that it is actually the letter 'V'
> or is it the letter 'U', but the glyph is looks like the letter 'V'?

This is a good question - and I would think there are several aspects

I think the glyphs are used interchangably - a V shape is often used for
an u in the begin of a word, but equally where a v is correct - while a
U shape might stand where v or u would be. I und J are certainly one
letter/interchangably used - indeed the greek name for the I - iota is
used in German for the name of the J - Jot.

Another problem is that a lot of the stuff on the net is often made to
look "antique" by throwing in arbitrary font oddities - I just now
realised that i actually never had seen or held in my hand a reliable
copy of what Luther's Bible looked like - there are a few pictures about
- but that is it.

And then there is positional glyph shaping - just as we had discussed
with Farsi/Arabic:

I found this image file which is quite interesting:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/luthercomma.jpg

Look at the behaviour of the S - begin and inside words it looks like a
f, but at the end it looks like an s.

Similar the U changes shape whether it is inside or at the begin of a word.

Not looked long enough and at enough original text to say whether there
are more letters getting shaped, but I would not be surprised.

Taking the glyph shaping into account I would think the version we have
is wrong as it tries to imitate this by using v and u - I have not seen
enough, but I think overall a straight use of U only for both letters
would be more correct - but equally difficult to read for some.

Peter