[sword-devel] Bibles in Beta

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 12:50:50 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> The TurNTB has often verses grouped together, but this is not encoded
> ie.g. as  v4-6 but instead v4 has all content and v5 and v6 are empty.
> So the list you showed for it is endless in consequence.

The wiki says that this module is known bad, so I'll assume that is the
problem here.

In our modules we allow linking verses. If this were implemented in
OSIS, then the module would have 5 and 6 pointing to verse 4. And verse
4 would have the whole content.

In OSIS this would be something like:
<verse osisID="Gen.1.14 Gen.1.15">Tanrı şöyle buyurdu: ‹‹Gökkubbede
gündüzü geceden ayıracak, yeryüzünü aydınlatacak ışıklar olsun.

By having it this way we can output verse numbers for the block. e.g.
(14-15) Tanrı şöyle buyurdu: ‹‹Gökkubbede gündüzü geceden ayıracak,
yeryüzünü aydınlatacak ışıklar olsun. Belirtileri, mevsimleri, günleri,

BTW, BibleDesktop won't display it correctly. It will repeat the text
for each verse! (This is a known bug.)
> I would think this + alternative versification is the case in many other
> Bibles.
>
> Personally I would suggest we are shooting us in our feet if we insist
> on perfection. "Good enough" is a hard to define but crucial standard.
>
> My suggestion is to put this list in a suitable format into each module
> as a list for further checking/errata and publish them nevertheless. If
> whole books or whole chapters are missing they need to be listed in the
> Conf file.
>
> With all these modules we should be working in an eternal (but hopefully
> ever slowing down) cycle of continuous improvement rather than
> delivering perfection once and then being able to forget about it.

I agree for the most part. But, by pointing out what I did, perhaps the
module creator might see a conversion problem and be able to fix it quickly.

> The real problem is that the structure of our repositories and the
> current access rules make it extremely hard to work in such a fashion.
> We need to find new ways of working on the modules, which are akin to
> the way we work on software - gradual improvements, frequent releases
> and many contributors.

I think our current method of funnelling everything through Chris makes
collaboration hard. (Chris, don't take it as criticism or a put down. I
don't mean it that way. I appreciate all your hard work and your
contributions!)

While writing this, I see that you replied to your own note along the
lines that I was going to comment, so I'll just finish that part of my
reply there.