[sword-devel] behaviour on mailing list, copurights, sscraping, Hitler etc etc

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:56:29 MST 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> I would in general prefer if a international project like Crosswire would drive down in exactly the middle of the road, rather than trying to skirt the sides and finding whatever loopholes there might be. I am sure I am not alone.

+1

> Wrt 2) -  we want to work together with copyright holders to and have to gain a lot more from creating goodwill than by scraping a few websites.

I'll just point out that it was only after the tools for scraping
websites to create e-Sword resources were publicly withdrawn, did the
International Bible Society allow the NIV to be distributed in e-Sword
format.  Several other publishers are looking at the behavior of
e-Sword _users_ to decide whether or not to release their material for
e-Sword.

Let the Sword Project learn from the mistakes made by e-Sword. An
active "no copyright infringement tolerated" policy is much better in
the long run.

xan

jonathon