[sword-devel] Some questions...

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Jun 1 08:59:26 MST 2008

JECompton wrote:
> Well I've spent some time becoming more familiar with the community and
> the SWORD api. Reading the to-do list on the crosswire website confirmed
> my decision to commit to helping in what ways I can. The api overview
> reminded me of how weak my C++ knowledge is. I will continue to read the
> mailing list, trace the api source as best as I can, and become more
> familiar with this community.
>
> I do have some questions:
> - Where can I learn how to install the newest svn version of some source
> code w/o it conflicting w/ the SWORD-based programs like gnomesword I
> have installed for daily use?

I would guess you want to do static linking of your binaries. I don't
have a link for instructions on doing this, but perhaps someone else can
chime in with directions.

> - The bug tracker link on the website doesn't work. Will this be fixed
> eventually?

Yes. Unfortunately the bug tracker is down ATM. We don't know when it
will return, but we are investigating a move to a different tracker.

> - If I find typos in texts, how should I change or report it?

Normally, the bug tracker.
While it's down, please email modules at crosswire.org.

> - I am particularly interested in computational linguistics, semiotics,
> and theoretical work that might lead to more effective computer-aided
> translation. I don't know where to start, though. I've taken discrete
> math and linear algebra, but I just don't know where to look for more
> information on this subject. I would feel deeply indebted to anyone who
> could direct me further.

I would start reading (or taking classes) in subjects like general
linguistics, computational linguistics, NLP, etc.

> - Is there an IRC channel or something similar so I can get to know this
> development community better?

#sword on irc.freenode.net

Welcome to the community!

--Chris