[sword-devel] MacSword2 early dev

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 10:53:58 MST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
> Manfred,
>
> Where would the source for it be?  I remember you were working on
> pulling out just an Obj-C wrapper for the SWORD library which we had
> talked about as being possibly useful for working on the iPhone.  How
> mature is that wrapper at this point, and how can I locate and
> download it?  I'm once again trying to forge a path to see if GPLv2
> apps are possible on the device (I know v3 is not workable because of
> the application signing that Apple requires).  Since getting mine,
> I've been very disappointed that all of the Bible programs are either
> for-pay or have questionable quality of their modules (the only free
> Bible app for the iPhone is put out by the people over at youversion -
> and it requires you to have a good data connection and the quality of
> their modules is very poor so far).
>
> --Greg

Greg,

My plan for a first draft of a usable, offline Bible program for the
iPhone is to use my host to dump the texts pre-rendered as HTML into
sqlite db files, which would save me having to learn how to make an
Obj-C wrapper, and will probably be significantly faster. We can go
ahead and get the UI working, and later go back and use SWORD as the
backend. Also, that wouldn't require having to work out license issues
first.

Matt