[sword-devel] Options and Features

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Jul 20 09:29:52 MST 2008

Dear Manfred,

Yes, you can operate this way.  BibleCS just has both a main menu
section and also a toolbar for the most popular options.  Options aren't
turned on or off based on specific modules, so we don't really check to
see if any module has a feature when turning things on/off-- kindof.
There might be one or two exceptions.  Module Features are really not
1:1 with Options.  For example.  HebrewDefs might be a feature of a
lexicon module to advertise that it can give Hebrew definitions.  Global
Option strings and 'OptionTip's are values which can be shown to the
user after i18n with a call to:
LocaleMgr::getSystemLocaleMgr()->translate(option_or_tip), though the
locale files haven't been updated with translations for them.

I believe Bibletime lets you turn options on and off on a per module
basis, but there is no facility in the engine to help with this.  We've
talked about it and decided to disagree about the best way.  When I
study, I either want to see strongs numbers or not.  I want to see xrefs
or not.  I don't want to manage all of these options individually per
module.  A quick toolbar click on or off for everything is best for me,
and that's how the engine ended up.  I understand people study
differently than me.

Hope this helps.

	-Troy.