[sword-devel] SwordReader PocketPC and SmartPhone CAB files.

SonWon sonwon.1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:39:21 MST 2008

David Trotz wrote:
> SonWon wrote:
>> Barry Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David .........

>>> I think it's just fine.  It's exactly what I would have done, and I
>>> don't think we ought to go for two different interfaces.  This keeps the
>>> whole thing simple - and it is intuitive and works well.  It also gives
>>> a nice uncluttered text screen!
>>>

>> I'll be disappointed if I have to use my Windows Mobile device like a
>> SmartPhone.  I paid the extra money to have the extra functionality and
>> desire to use that functionality.  I think it would be easy to give the
>> user an option as mentioned in a previous post.  Hopefully someone else
>> will agree with me  :)
>>
> That's not a fair statement ;-) If you look at many apps that you run
> on your windows mobile device, you will find that at least 50% of them
> do the 2 menu system, especially those that have both the smartphone
> and pocketpc support. But John, I will agree with you that having a
> more complex menu available would be nice.
Sorry if I stepped on any toes, was not my plan just expressing my thoughts.

> So this is what I propose (actually you already made a mention of
> this): Let's make the two menu system default out of the box, which
> will be our official menu where every single command will be
> guaranteed to exist, and let's allow for an alternate menu system
> available through the preferences. I personally won't be spending much
> time right now to implement this, I want to focus on a few other areas
> first. You are free to take it on if you like John.
Sounds like great news, I hope the rendering speed is one area.  I think
an alternate menu will be an easy start and there is enough difficulty
to make it interesting.  I just have to learn your MFC system.

> My only concern is that SwordReader grows so complicated that it is
> hard to use. If you take a look at Bible Reader by OliveTree you will
> find a very nice bible program but at times overly complex w/ 2 fully
> customizable menu bars. While I love the flexibility, I can see
> someone like my wife getting frustrated with the complexity. Now in
> contrast if you look at Palm Bible+ you will see a simple yet elegant
> interface. This is the interface I want to try to imitate.
Ah, doesn't the Palm Bible+ have a menu system like I want?  Just a
joke.  :)  I also noticed it has a top menubar and bottom menubar.  In
the past I had user complaints when I covered the top with a menubar.
Palm Bible+ does appear 'simple yet elegant' which would be the goal.  I
like the idea of two menus since we can hide the complexities from those
who desire a simpler interface and yet still provide for the power users.

> In Christ,
> David Trotz

SonWon

I choose God and all that my choice entails in this life even unto death and look forward to the new life that will come.