[sword-devel] osis2mod and WoC

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 06:39:57 MST 2008

I'd like to propose a change to osis2mod and get consensus before making
the change.

The goal of osis2mod is to allow any valid OSIS as input and to
transform it, if necessary to a form that SWORD apps can handle, and do
it in a loss-less manner. However, that is not reality. An encoder needs
to create OSIS that the SWORD engine, front-ends and osis2mod expects.

Today the KJV and the ESV are the only OSIS modules with the Words of
Christ (aka WoC, aka red letter text) marked up.

In beta there are several more, but none of them show properly across
all front-ends.

The markup in the KJV and ESV are tedious. The problem comes when a
quote is interrupted, perhaps with "added" or parenthetical comments, or
when a quote spans verses or even chapters (e.g. the Sermon on the
Mount). Also, both the KJV and ESV require the OSISqToTick hack that
suppresses the automatic generation of quotation marks when the marker
attribute is not present.

The solution has been for the encoder of the input to osis2mod to encode
the OSIS in a way that the SWORD engine and the front-ends can handle.
However, the goal would be to allow the Sermon on the Mount to have a
quote start in Chapter 5 and a quote end in Chapter 7, greatly
simplifying the encoders job in marking the WoC.

It is rather straight forward to markup the text so that it can work.
But today it falls on the OSIS input encoder to do. I'd like to
recommend that we move the processing into osis2mod.

Ultimately this solution recognizes that the <qelement serves two
purposes in SWORD:
1) Determination of which quote marks to use and where.
2) Determination of what text to mark up as red-letter-text.

These would be handled distinctly and separately and result in a module
that is encoded like the KJV or the ESV (these differ in that the KJV
doesn't have quote marks anywhere) and the OSISqToTick would not be
necessary.

Further, this change would be compatible with 1.5.9.

If interested, there is a discussion in the wiki concerning how this
would be marked up.
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Modules_in_the_beta_repository

In Him,
    DM