[sword-devel] help with a project

Wade Maxfield wmaxfield at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:10:42 MST 2008

>Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:57:10 -0500
>From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>
<snip>
>On one very serious note...  Do not presume to lecture people working
>with this organization on "the ramifications of the GPL."  Some of us
>having been producing free software since before the concept gained
>trendy names, much less well-advertised licensing schemes.

  I sincerely apologize.

  I had mistakenly understood one of the comments from another user to be
the goal of the entire group.  That was my mistake.

    The comment was to the effect that the Sword project did not allow
commercial usage.  The GPL allows commercial usage.  I apologize for coming
across a lecturing, but I wanted to let the group (since I thought it was a
group goal) know that the license needed to be changed if commercial usage
of Sword was forbidden (as I presumed it was due to the post.)  I had also
learned something about dual licenses from a discussion with lawyers
regarding Sun not publishing code that was LGPL, and I tried to share what
had been given to me.

   I have since been educated that your group really does understand the
GPL, and the possible commercial use of Sword is well understood by most of
the group.

    Unfortunately, email does not carry tone along with it.  I seem to have
hurt your sensibilities, and I apologize again.  I made a mistake.

    I'll look through the archive when I find them, and see if I can uncover
the work you did.

    As I said in an earlier post, my email did not pick up either the post I
made or the replies to it until recently.  (Don't know why.)

Maranatha!
Wade