[sword-devel] Versification

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Jan 28 04:36:01 MST 2008

Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi Peter ...........
>
> peter wrote:
>> So could I - once that number mystery is understood - create a different
>> canon.h file for e.g RC versification and recompile Sword ?
>
> I'm sure you could - but you'd break it as far as all existing modules
> are concerned!

I appreciate that. Obviously.

But if the code as such works without further reference to whichever
versification scheme is used, but simply assumes the correct one is in
place, then I think this file being at the root of the implementation
should be made flexible rather than a whole new way of encoding Bibles +
new GUI. Old modules would use teh KJV and newly added ones would be
able to bring their own scheme along.

There was a thread on that matter about 3-4 months agao and IIRC Troy +
Dm seemed to think loosing it up by loading the versification would be
the right way forward.

BTW how many variants are there?

There is obviously teh RC and Greek Orthodox way of including the
apogrypohae into their canon with a whole range of resulting chnages.
But any other important schemes?

Peter