[sword-devel] new morphology

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Jan 26 18:42:08 MST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:57 PM, DM Smith wrote:

> Perhaps I'm a bit dense, I don't see how the module would grow from
> 150K to 2000K. Can we do key linking? And that if it would be encoded
> into the engine that the size increase would be small.
>
> As to adding parsing/normalization to JSword, we already do that wrt
> Strong's numbers and also Devotional keys. It is no big deal.
>
> -- DM

At the bottom of this email is the complete Robinson morphology code
manual. It's not long, but it's got a lot of possibilities that can
compound. So, for example, for any verb there are (very roughly) 11
tenses x 9 voices x 7 moods x (5 cases x 2 numbers x 3 genders + 3
persons x 3 genders) x 8 variant forms = 216216 total codes. (In fact
this gets reduced by eliminating sets of impossible codes, but the
final code count is still about 77000 total.).

All of those keys include an explication of up to 8 lines. So the
total filesize is about 15Mb before compression.

Key linking isn't relevant here. There aren't duplicate entries.

Parsing means you take a code like V-2RDI-2P-IRR and generate text like:
Part of Speech: Verb
Tense: Second peRfect
Voice: middle Deponent
Mood: Indicative
Person: second
Number: Plural
Irregular or Impure form

--Chris

Parts of speech
===============

   N-    : noun
   A-    : adjective
   T-    : article
   V-    : verb
   P-    : personal pronoun
   R-    : relative pronoun
   C-    : reciprocal pronoun
   D-    : demonstrative pronoun
   K-    : correlative pronoun
   I-    : interrogative pronoun
   X-    : indefinite pronoun
   Q-    : correlative or interrogative pronoun
   F-    : reflexive pronoun
   S-    : possessive pronoun
   ADV   : adverb
   CONJ  : conjunction
   COND  : cond
   PRT   : particle
   PREP  : preposition
   INJ   : interjection
   ARAM  : aramaic
   HEB   : hebrew
   N-PRI : proper noun indeclinable
   A-NUI : numeral indeclinable
   N-LI  : letter indeclinable
   N-OI  : noun other type indeclinable

Parts of speech with Case, Number, Gender

   N- : noun
   A- : adjective
   T- : article

Pattern:

   pos case number gender [suffix]

Verbs
=====

   V- : verb

Patterns:

   V- tense voice I person number [verb-extra]
   V- tense voice S person number [verb-extra]
   V- tense voice O person number [verb-extra]
   V- tense voice M person number [verb-extra]
   V- tense voice N
   V- tense voice P case number gender [verb-extra]
   V- tense voice R case number gender [verb-extra]

Pronominal parts of speech
==========================
   P- : personal pronoun
   R- : relative pronoun
   C- : reciprocal pronoun
   D- : demonstrative pronoun
   K- : correlative pronoun
   I- : interrogative pronoun
   X- : indefinite pronoun
   Q- : correlative or interrogative pronoun
   F- : reflexive pronoun
   S- : possessive pronoun

Pattern:

   pos [person] case number [gender] [suffix]

Indeclinable parts of speech
============================
   ADV : adverb
   CONJ : conjunction