[sword-devel] Rich brother? Re: Users are here. Re: Sword on Plone

Jason Galyon jtgalyon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:49:35 MST 2008

DJ Ortley wrote:
> Well, I'm not exactly sure of what you were trying to say in this
> e-mail.  However, I suppose clarifying the typical Plone setup might be
> of use as I don't think you were trying to chide me away from developing
> such technologies as much as you were trying to bring to light other things.
>
> Basically, Plone is a product for Zope, which is a web server as well as
> other things.  A typical Plone site running in a Zope instance uses
> quite a bit of processing power and memory, but, adding extra Plone
> sites on that Zope instance has a much lower overhead per site.  So what
> someone normally does is to proxy a Zope instance running several Plone
> sites behind Apache and/or Squid with some rewrite rules.  A neat
> advantage here is that any technologies that get added to Zope can be
> shared by any number of the Plone instances.
>
> Plone hosting services tend to be a bit more pricey.  Typically
> $30-$40/month (this isn't exactly a LAMP setup here.)  However, with all
> of this put together, one can setup a server (personally or through a
> hosting service) and run a small number of very powerful sites through
> that one machine.

I believe the sentiment expressed was in deploying (easily) the software
with as little overhead as possible.  That may sound rhetorical, but for
the list readers this may just be one of those areas they take for
granted so no offense is intended to anyone.

I like Plone, I believe it does much to tame the IMHO nasty beast that
is Zope2 and turn it into a world class CMS.  I am a pretty big Plone
advocate for many reasons.  I like the use of the ZMI to load balance
(through Apache of course, never tried any other web server).

That said, I am interested in a Plone (or any other) server system that
can dish out content to small end clients like the OLPC/XO.  While such
devices can use a browser to view the info, I am thinking (also) of
using something like XML-RPC or even better a more RESTful interface to
control the query and dissemination of data on the local rich client.

For example, with the XO, don't use the browser but rather use a pyGTK
interface along with a very small amount of local data.  Following the
lesson plan based approach to teaching with the XO, then lesson plans
would be downloaded to the XO and the data cached as necessary.

For "homework" larger amounts of compressed data can be stored on the
device.

Swords markup with its great use of indexing provides this ability "out
of the box" that is multilingual and referenced against well written
lessons that together provide a fantastic base of context for the
student.  Together with lessons that are targeted for appropriate ages
(e.g. graphical logo style lessons for smaller kids and well I guess I
like them too) we have a fantastic tool for spreading the Word.
> Regardless of outside help or not, I'm going to continue marching on the
> Sword+Plone front.  One of the reasons being that another group I work
> with is using Plone as one of their main technologies, and we'll more
> likely than not be wanting to put that on our site as well as use it in
> other sites we build.
>
> -DJ

I am very interested in your system and would like to hear more about it
and your plans.

Will you be attending PyCon in Chicago?

Jason