[sword-devel] need help on a project

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:42:03 MST 2008

The SWORD engine would serve for this purpose wonderfully - but you
would need to have someone who was willing to tackle designing a
protocol, etc.  I'm not sure that there is one at the moment, but it
seems that an adaptation of OSIS would be perfect, since it is already
well-known and the XML structure should make a good
platform-independent transport mechanism.

However you've left out a lot of details: would this be for internal
(to your organization) use or not?

What sort of license would you want the software to operate under?
There are a handful that are compatible with SWORD, but I don't know
off-hand exactly which those are.

What platform does the server need to operate on?  Are you running it
on your aging, home Windows XP machine; is it going to be on some
multi-application LAMP server out on the web; does it need to be
runnable from a Macintosh system?  Do you want it written in Java or
C/C++?

What sort of system is this going into?  That also might help
prospective developers decide if they think this would be worth their
energy.

Cheers!

--Greg