[sword-devel] Rich brother? Re: Users are here. Re: Sword on Plone

avolunteer DrStovallFoundation pythondrs at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 06:43:13 MST 2008

Do you have a rich brother who would really wants to make available this kind
of encouragement and power?  Children and jobless disaster victims could
quickly gain a a badly needed sense of accomplishment, ownership, and
responsibility if they could use my linguistic tools plus Sword on Plone to
assist them in multi-language Bible studies.  The problem is a Plone server
needs 256MB of ram to even run and 1GB is recommended.  Clients need less but I
do not have that kind of money necessary for hosting to serve very many users.
We have some old small memory machines and can get more.  But I do not have
contacts who would give us that much computing power.

What my team has been doing is burning liveCD's with gnome sword and giving
them to people who can use them.  What I would like to see for the future is a
team able to expand on this and build much better sw.  I see BPBible and JSword
as the best starting place for this.  My little N800 with Rapier is great.  But
OLPC with a button to show Python source code for whatever the child is doing
seems to me to be the most affordable target.  Remember also that children have
a much shorter span of attention and a childish value system.  Plone would
enable us to immediately give great encouragement to those who already have a
high value system for either 1. learning a language that will help them develop
job stills or 2. learning the Bible.  But most children immediately elevate
"playful learning" to a higher value than either of these.  Plone comes at a
much higher cost than Python, Java, or Scala but I do not think we will find
better options for playful learning in Plone.

I would personally love to have a Plone Sword.  But do you have a rich brother
who wants to pay for an immediate solution while we are waiting for the team to
build the most deployable solution.  The children of Nias deserve the best
right now.  There are no factories or hope for the kind of life they see on TV
available on the island.  Three months and 2 days after the tsunami 80% of the
homes and 100% of the water supply was ruined by the 16th worst earthquake in
modern times.  Some schools there are not yet rebuilt.  One that was built by a
corrupt contractor has already fallen down.  Google Nias
site:TheJakartaPost.com and read about the majority who lost their homes still
living in tents.  You will also read of 1.2 million school dropouts per year
with the highest two concentrations in North Nias, South Nias, and neighboring
islands.  Two days ago another child was killed by another earthquake that
injured several others.  If you lived in these circumstances, you would really
welcome a rich brother's immediate solution to the language barrier.  But a
team effort solution that could be deployed on a wider basis would be an almost
unimaginable blessing.
A Volunteer - Dr Stovall Foundation