[sword-devel] problem with InstallMgr cache

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Jan 17 07:17:45 MST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Martin Gruner <mg.pub at gmx.net> writes:
> > And no more than 8+3 characters.  Hehe.
>
> Oh, for pity's sake...  Working far too hard at a non-problem.
>
> Fine, take the caption name, in any character combination the user
> wants, and shovel it through an MD5 hash, stripping off the upper 8
> characters as the intended name.  The likelihood of a resulting name
> collision is so close to zero as to be ignorable.
>
> I mean, really now.  Make a single, simple sanity check in the UI about
> allowable character choices within that UI's allowable set, and this
> problem evaporates.

I think that was a joke. Neither did I mean to make this a big problem.
The current state is fine as long there are no server names with more
than one path.

I just want to make sure that if someone fixes this it doesn't cause any
further problems or bugs. If nobody will do it we can leave this here.
I can't fix this in UI because the install manager is in the Sword
library. That is why I was worried about problems which could appear if
this was changed.

BTW, surprisingly, I also thought about MD5 but I think the Sword
library currently doesn't have function or 3rd party dependency for
that.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland