[sword-devel] Calvin's Commentaries and empty footnotes

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 09:05:38 MST 2008

Luke Plant wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 January 2008 20:30:15 DM Smith wrote:
>

>>> I notice something like this in KJV: <note type="study">Adam: or,
>>> the man</note>
>>>
>>> In the new Calvin, there seems to be something like: <note n="40">
>>>
>> This is perfectly valid OSIS.
>>
>> Just a wild guess that the <p>...</p> is causing the note to be
>> rendered as empty.
>>
>> IMHO, having the entire note surrounded by <p> is unnecessary and
>> probably will introduce unwanted whitespace.
>>

> The problem with stripping it is that sometimes notes in Calvin's
> commentaries can be several paragraphs long, I believe.  Stripping out
> any markup inside a note should be a last resort, IMO.  If the frontend
> wants to do that, there is nothing stopping them, but requiring it of
> the module source doesn't seem to make sense.

I think that the SWORD engine should allow the full specification of
OSIS. And notes can be multiple paragraphs. My comment about <p> being
unnecessary was regarding a note of a single paragraph.

I was just guessing that the <p> was something that the Sword engine did
not handle it correctly. As a test you could change one occurrence,
rebuild the module and test it in BibleTime. If it then worked, there is
a bug in the Sword engine that needs to be fixed and/or a work around to
do in osis2mod, which normalizes input to what the Sword engine can
handle,  or in your osis xml.