[sword-devel] Module Add-Ins Question

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Jan 1 06:13:28 MST 2008

mmital wrote:
> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Happy new year to you too.

Wrt modules, copying and GPL, you got this quite wrong, sorry.If you use
e.g OpenOffice to read a book manuscriptt produced by someone else then
your using an open tool does not alter the fact that the author holds to
teh copyright and will be seriously miffed if you distribute it without
his permission.

Wrt Sword modules the matter is the same - the software is capable of
reading and expressing in varied form and on varied platforms texts
which are stored in one particular format - the sword module. The
individual modules though - if not public domain by virtue of age or
dedication - will remain under the control of teh copyright owners.

So you will look at every single module carefully and decide according
the copyright information what you are allowed to do and what not.

A fair number of modules are given to Crosswire with permission _to_
Crosswire to distribute it. So you will not be allowed to re-distribute.
The Turkish Bible is in this category.

Others  are re-distributable on various terms (e.g. non commercially or
unaltered etc.

God bless you.

Peter