[sword-devel] BibleCS 1.5.10 remaining tasks

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Feb 7 00:39:29 MST 2008

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> writes:
>> one could ask why you're encoding Bibles with ThML
>
> Because ThML is very easy to generate, especially in automated
> script-based stream editing, and OSIS is not, especially due to the
> complications of converting relatively free-form <scripRef> content.
> Yes, I know of vs2osisref, and in fact Troy and I discussed it while at
> BibleTech.  Putting it to use in context is not entirely straightforward.
>
> I am also not aware of whether OSIS provides for an equivalent of
> <scripRef passage="Gen 1:1">display text linked to reference</scripRef>
> which has a fair amount of application.

Doesn't <reference osisRef="Gen.1.1">text goes here</reference> work?
The semantics of interpreting it as a link are an application issue, but
the syntax itself seems completely equivalent.

>>From discussions at BibleTech, I have the strong impression that SIL are
> generating ThML exclusively.

Adding to Daniel's comment, I'll point out that OSIS is what SIL sends
us to covert. FWIW, we could deal with (U)SFM or ThML or whatever if
that were their preferred format.

My greater concern with the variants tagging is that it's not even
standardized in ThML. I'm pretty sure that what the filters recognize is
just an ad hoc way of encoding them that I made up back in the days when
I needed some way of encoding those Greek texts but we didn't yet have OSIS.

--Chris