[sword-devel] USFM to OSIS

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 26 03:56:24 MST 2008

If you have the ability and the XML expertise, you should really write
in OSIS directly. Sword uses OSIS markup directly, but will never use
SFM directly. So, using an SFM text will always require conversion to
OSIS, and that conversion may not be perfect and predictable.

If Bibledit offers enough advantage to make using USFM worth the added
difficulty of conversion, then you will have to modify one of the
existing (U)SFM to OSIS converters to handle unsupported features that
you desire to use (such as Strong's numbers & lemmas). I know that none
of them support these features currently.

Using OSIS directly may or may not be more difficult for you, but it
will give you more precise control over the text that Sword uses.

--Chris