[sword-devel] OSIS Bible Name guidelines ?

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 22:08:42 MST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Tonny,
>
> To be honest the best set up for you would not be OSIS at this stage.
> There are not the right tools available yet. Bible translators use
> usually USFM which is where all the really good tools are available for.
>
> Large parts of the difficulty of translation in general and Bible
> translation in particular is to be consistent - and this is where the
> tools will help you to stay right.
>
> The most commonly used tool appears to be Paratext, but it works only
> soso on Linux and is anyway not easily available.
>
> So the one right for you would be Bibledit, which is an excellent USFM
> editor, fully open source, running on Linux, very light weight (runs on
> those kiddies' computers from OLPC) and with an excellent collection of
> tools - making use that all verses are translated, keeping all your
> notes etc under version control, allowing you to have word lists etc for
> consistency etc.
>
> After the translation is completed, as long as your USFM use is clean a
> transfer into OSIS is simple.

Thanks for the informations it is very appreciated. I just realized
there are specialized tools eg: bibledit for this kind of things.
Previously I thought it is only need good xml editor with xml-schema
or dtd.

I just installing bibledit on my ubuntu :)

note: since I am not profesional translator (only software developer),
I guess the output will be awful in term of grammar and language
structure. It is more like a personal project rather than
official/authoritative translation. But at least there will be
Indonesian Bible Text later (if ever finish) which is freely available
:)

Since this is my first time to do translation, any tips/trick.
guidelines, etc is very appreciated.

If I am correctly interpret your suggestion, the project must be USFM,
and later on it converted to OSIS/Sword, right ?

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Alkitab Bible Study