[sword-devel] OSIS Bible Name guidelines ?

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:57:48 MST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Tonny Kohar <tonny.kohar at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>> Is there somekind of name guidelines for OSIS module eg: KJV (King
>> James Version), ESV (English Standard Versions), etc ?
>> I mean the naming convention and the use of special character
>> - is it must be 3 or 4 letter eg: KJV, NIV,ESV, NASB, UKJV for short name
>> ?
>> - How about long name eg: King James Version, is there any limit of  max
>> letter ?
>> - the use of special character eg: dash (-), parentheses (), tilde
>> (~), etc is allowed ?
>> - any other guidelines/constraints ?
>> And how to avoid duplicated names with existing one ? is there any
>> kind of registered name/registration body to avoid duplicate name ?
> I'm not sure but I guess OSIS doesn't dictate the module names. For the
> modules in Sword binary format the module name should be as short as
> possible and include only ascii alphanumeric and no whitespace. Some people
> have created modules with longer names, up to about 15 characters. There is
> no centralized management for names, you just have to be careful. You can
> always ask here.

Thanks for the info, it is very appreciated.
What about this name
IPD (Indonesian Public Domain), is this name already taken or used in
some bible ?

> We have just (within about one week, if you want to read the archive) had
> discussion about i18n for config entry strings and also about adding a short
> name field.

Yes,  I following those discussion and have nothing to say, I am fine
with any final decision made. I only need to implement those added
attribute to my program or see whether it is implemented on JSword.

Tonny Kohar
Alkitab Bible Study
imagine, design, create ...