[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 20 04:18:22 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>>
>> Personally I see the joy in this, but it also strikes me as somewhat
>> anti-Windows.
>
> If this really is the case for most of the users, this whole
> conversation has been meaningless - the applications should store the
> modules in app-specific directories and the library shouldn't find all
> paths.

That would require as much a conscious decision as anything else. And it
would be in my opinion a very bad one. It is one of the selling points
of CrossWire that you are free to use whatever application with your
existing module list. While this will remain true to an extent it would
be much weakened with application specific directories.

I do remember my annoyance when a (not anymore active and listed) SWORD
related Windows application used a totally different directory for its
modules. And i was mainly a windows user then, though I had started to
dabble in Linux - I certainly did not think in a Linux way then.

The current situation though is neither here nor there and should get
resolved. In my preference to a common and predictable way.

> It is true that many users might not expect cross-application behaviour,
> but a user-friendly way to cure this would be to let user know what will
> happen in an informational dialog. When the user edits the data paths or
> installs/removes modules the app could show a dialog saying "Changing
> the installation paths and adding or removing modules will affect all
> Sword-based programs installed on this system, for example The SWORD
> Project for Windows, BibleTime, GnomeSword, and BibleDesktop. Do you
> still want to continue? [X Don't show this message again] [Cancel] [OK]".

That and hiding of modules in particular frontends as suggested further
on by Eeli are the right way IMHO.

So, summary - I second Eeli.

Peter