[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Dec 19 15:19:35 MST 2008

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> OK, so would this be a fair assessment of the requests on the table?
>
> To the C++ Engine add searching in:
>
> $HOME/Library/Application Support/sword
> $APPDATA/sword
> $ALLUSERSPROFILE/sword
>
> Change the C++ Engine to 'augment' the installed module list with any
> works found on any path, instead of the precedence implemented currently.
>
> Add the concept of an 'install location' to be the 'first' found
> writable location.
>
> Make both JSword and SWORD operate exactly the same for module set
> lookups.
>
>     -Troy.

There has been way too much details for me to digest. I just give my
point of view.

1. The Sword library should handle these things automatically so that
the frontend could just use the API.

2. The end user should have the final word after the initial phase. We
should think what happens when the user installs the first application,
then installs some modules with that, then installs another application,
installs modules with that... All frontends should use the library
API/files/paths so that if the user configurates things with one app
it's seen in another app, too. If user takes off some paths they should
be taken off from all frontends. If user adds some paths they should be
added for all frontends. If user changes the default install location it
should be changed for all frontends. This all should work independend of
the app install location and not depending whether the app uses a
statically build Sword library or shared one.

3. The writeability of a location is important. What does library do if
the path is not writable? My observations are that it fails silently,
IIRC. It's of course wrong to the end user and should be taken care in
the library or in the frontend. I would prefer library.

--Eeli Kaikkonen