[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Dec 19 13:05:40 MST 2008

Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi Troy ........
>
> Just wondering: the use of a 'pending' directory into which the new
> module is unpacked following opening of a Windows module installer .exe
> is very much BibleCS only.

It is actually quite weird and totally unexpected. Why was this chosen?

> It might be nicer if Windows .exe installer
> were compatible with BibleDesktop and the soon-to-be GnomeSword for
> Windows.  The NSIS installer could install to a valid Sword directory
> with a bit of work( and no - I don't have time to offer to do it, so
> maybe I should keep my mouth shut).  I would hold somebody's hand in
> doing it if need be, though.
>
> A good alternative might be to scrap the self-installing Windows .exe
> modules altogether.

yes we should scrap the current incarnation. They are no use to anyone
who does not have BibleCS installed and they only cause confusion and upset.

I do think self installing modules have a lot of benefit. They allow
distribution of resource bundles without any real need of explanation of
how to get things going and also allow distribution in places where
distribution is otherwise hard (again without any serious need for
instruction beyond "Install that!".

So, unless someone steps up otherwise, i would take on this challenge
but only sometime later in the new year. I also would happily accept
your holding hand as I am clueless on a lot of things computerwise. I
think I learn fast though.

Peter