[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 21:39:34 MST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 8:00 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

>> Which places do your applications expect modules in? Please list all!
>> What are suitable places for direct install when someone wants to
>> bypass
>> the module install manager? Are there any problems with that?
>>
>> Some feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> I know obviously where Linux puts the stuff, but what about Macs -
> when
> someone wishes to distribute modules directly where should he
> isntall them?

On the Mac, they should go in
	~/Library/Application Support/Sword
The usual directories mods.d and modules are in there.

The problem is that short of using the command line unzip program, it
is not possible to unzip them to that location. Manfred has said that
the Mac downloads should be discontinued.

When a Mac unzips KJV.zip it creates, in the same directory as the
zip, a folder KJV and unzips the contents there. Dragging the mods.d
and modules folders to the right location gives the user the choice to
replace the folder or not. It does not merge the folders.

The only real solution for Mac is to use either BibleDesktop or
MacSword's module installer.

On Linux, there are two "standard" locations. The per user location is
~/.sword. I don't remember where the other location is, but it is a
pain as most users wouldn't have permission to write there.

On Windows, the traditional location is in the BibleCS folder. It is
now reasonable to expect them in C:\Program Files\CrossWire, too. The
Windows standard is to place application specific data in ~/
Application Data/Sword. This is where JSword will put them by default,
if BibleCS has not been installed.

In Him,
	DM