[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Tom Cornell tom.cornell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 06:34:34 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> My recommendation was actually that the default be the language of the
> module (what I have referred to, perhaps somewhat confusingly, as the
> localized name). In the absence of that, I recommended using the English.
> For old (all existing) content, the fallback would be the current
> combination of localized plus English that is found in most modules.

What do you make of English language editions of Greek Bibles, where
the module config file pretty much has to say "Lang=grc"?

I personally would not want to see "Wetcott-Hort" or "Tischendorf"
transliterated just to match the module language setting, nor (being
serious for a minute) would I want to try to wade through a koine
translation of the module description as laboriously as I wade through
John, say, but I could easily imagine wanting the description to
appear in whatever I had set my locale to, since presumably that
represents a declaration to my computer that this is the language I am
most comfortable with.

-Tom Cornell