[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Dec 16 19:24:13 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:

> Could you describe how you think all of these values would be used
> practically?

You would basically access them via the set locale.

The preference would be to get a locale appropriate name and if not the
fall back solution which would be English. This is how Gnome does the
menus and it works well.

The front end writers would have little or nothing to do about the
proliferation of names as they would simply as before ask for all these
parameters with existing methods.

But by having set a locale in the engine the engine would return locale
appropriate naming (or fallback)

Once the engine delivers the name etc via the indirection of the locale
everything else can function just as before. There should be no need to
do anything in frontends.

So if my locale is set to German in GS I want the Vulgate appearing as
Vulgata, while whatever name a Russian would give the Vulgate would
appear for him.

Peter