[sword-devel] Website - module lists

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Dec 16 17:09:00 MST 2008

Gregory Hellings wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 17:02, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, I am arguing against that bad habit where ever I encounter it.
>>
>> It really should not be a visible name - anywhere.
>
> I would shy away from that sweeping of a claim. True, someone might not
> know what the AB is or AraSVD, but would they understand the full title
> of "The HOLY BIBLE, Conteyning the Old Testament, AND THE NEW, Newly
> Translated out of the Original tongues & with the former Translations
> diligently compared and revised by his Magesties special Comandment"
> more than they understand KJV?

KJV, NIV, NASB are well recognised abbreviations/names for the
respective Bible translations - no argument.

But this applies only to some.

> Maybe advocating for better short internal forms would be better. I
> certainly don't want anything longer than KJV, ESV, NET, WLC, etc to
> display in any of the places I look, but there might be a few that
> confuse me, like SME and TSK on the top-10 list.  But once I see what
> they are, I'm more than happy to see them displayed with their initials
> than any fuller names.

There is a limit of how many sensible three letter combinations you can
create. And who gets preference. And not all languages like abbreviating
in this fashion.

I do not want Die Ganze Heilige Schrift nach der Uebersetzung von Dr
Martin Luther, but Luther 1912 vs Luther 1984 sounds fine. Elberfelder
etc. Short, precise and clear enough in most frontends.

And for some several names are required- particularly those in non Latin
scripts.

Peter