[sword-devel] [New Website] application page, OS icon bar, news

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Dec 12 16:51:01 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> You have already succeeded very well.

Thanks!

>> News - I would like to have more feedback on that.
>>
> What would the users want to see? Who they are, why they read our news?

> [..]

True, it is hard to guess.

> Each project would like to have a
> bit more visibility, or there's too much work with other things that the
> developers could update the information.

Unfortunately it appears that only the latter applies. Once we had lots
of projects vying for attention via the news streams, we would require
some editing - true. But we are far from that.

> One solution could be two news streams, one for end users (about
> frontends and stable modules) and one for developers (engine news, OSIS
> news, other techology news, important svn commits, beta modules...)

The technology in place allows that and more. there are some 10 or so
categories from which one can filter.

>> Personally though I think we can have news pages on most sub sites, if
>> only we have enough news to go around.The news admin page allows to
>> enter news in different categories, which in turn would in theory
>> enables us to put out different aspects/categories out in different
>> places. So feedback on that idea, please!
>>

> There's no use to create news streams which aren't updated regularly.
> The project looks dead if the last piece of news is half a year old. We
> need more content.

True indeed,

>> Also some concerted effort by project leads to enter news for their
>> frontend into the admin page:
>>

>> Isn't BT already at 1.7?
>>
> If you count the beta versions. The description text will need update
> sooner or later. We can't advertise our cross-platformity quite yet but
> I don't like giving the users an idea of a KDE-only app, either. Maybe this:
>

> "BibleTime [notice: "for Qt/KDE" is not good here anymore]
>
> BibleTime is a Bible study tool with excellent support for different
> types of texts and languages. Even large amounts of works (Sword
> modules) are easy to install and manage. Text display windows can be
> laid out freely. The older 1.6 series needs the KDE 3 desktop
> environment but KDE 4 based 1.7 is in beta phase and support for systems
> without KDE, including Windows and MacOSX, is underway."

Ok, I would put this in, but I really would prefer about stuff being
there rather than stuff in future coming. One of my fav bug bears with
the site as it was were the multitude of aspirational statements "soon"
- all of it a few years ago and unfortunately sometimes actually not
there and done.

>  and has been translated to several languages.

Which ones?

> But about the news - we have published our news in our web page but not
> in CrossWire. I have put announcements on sword-devel mailing list but
> haven't requested anyone to put them into the CrossWire news, and so
> they haven't gone there.

One of you, whoever runs under the name of project lead has acces to the
 news admin page.

Peter