[sword-devel] Icon bar and redirects. (new website)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Dec 12 01:54:30 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> Choose the icon for your platform: [Linux icon]   [Windows icon]
> BibleTime      TSPFW GnomeSword     ...

ok. I will look into this

> BTW, I don't like the Java section - it's needed only if the Java
> apps run somewhere which is not already covered by other platforms.
> Are there any examples for that?

Yes - unless you have actually tried compiling BT, Solaris seemed to
have been one of those until recently, when Karl worked on GS to make it
compile. It is still only of limited functionality as teh
mozembed/xulrunner version does not work.

OS/2 and Beos appear to have Java (of which version I do not know), but
nothing else.

I would think that all of the other Unixes (HP, SGI, SCO, the BSDs) will
have a java port, but using GS or BT will be on some at least an
exercise in porting before it compiles. And it might fail.

None of these really matter in terms of size, userbase etc, but the
users are often our lot - geeks who in turn can turn into programmers
for CrossWire. So I think it is a nice touch to provide something
specific. And show that we care.

> I don't agree completely. For many of our users (or potential users)
>  technology and technical details mean much. People may want to find
>  software which works on two or even more platforms. "cross platform
>  bible software" is the first search term which comes to my mind.

As I said, I tend to choose programmes which i can run at work and at
home (linux and Windows)

Peter