[sword-devel] Icon bar and redirects. (new website)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:55:21 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>>> redirects - I have inserted HTML driven redirects but think it would be
>>> better to have this as a server directive like .htacess. Is there a way
>>> of doing this in Tomcat?
>>
>> Use
>> response.sendRedirect("redirect://URL.here/to/a/page.html");
>>
>> from JSPs.
>
> Would this appear like a HTML redirect or would simply a different page
> getting served?

It's the Java method of implementing a Location: <page> redirect.  So
the user's browser would immediately jump to the redirected site,
rather than pulling up the HTML and waiting a specified number of
seconds before going where the <meta> tag sent it (I'm guessing
redirects with the <meta> tag is what you mean by an HTML redirect).
Since it modifies the headers of the HTTP, you have to make the call
before you flush any output to the client, or it throws an exception.

--Greg