[sword-devel] CLucene Indexes

Ian Wagner IWAGN973 at students.bju.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:58:45 MST 2008

Hello all,

I have determined that using CLucene is going to be the fastest way to  
do searching with the iPhone frontend. Search times are very fast once  
the indexes have been built. The problem that I am facing now is the  
time required to index a module. In the simulator, the device  
apparently has the same power as my macbook's CPU and consequently  
builds the index in about a minute, which is bearable for a one-time  
operation and could even be done in the background. When I tried the  
operation on my iPod Touch, the operation took 20 minutes on the ESV  
module, which is obviously unacceptable. I can think of 3 solutions to  
the problem at the moment: 1) Distribute the indexes with the modules  
in the repository. This would be nice because frontends could take  
advantage of CLucene's indexing without having to do the time- 
consuming index operation. On the other hand, it would require someone  
indexing all of the modules, updating the repository, and adding a  
couple megs onto each module that some frontends might not use. Option  
2) I could setup my own repository for indexed modules that the iPhone  
frontend would download from, but I think there are some licensing  
issues with that if I'm not mistaken. Option 3) I setup a repository  
from which to download the lucene indexes. I think that the third  
option would be best, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on  
this issue.

There's no place like

More information about the sword-devel mailing list