[sword-devel] CLucene Indexes

Ian Wagner IWAGN973 at students.bju.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:58:45 MST 2008

Hello all,

I have determined that using CLucene is going to be the fastest way to
do searching with the iPhone frontend. Search times are very fast once
the indexes have been built. The problem that I am facing now is the
time required to index a module. In the simulator, the device
apparently has the same power as my macbook's CPU and consequently
builds the index in about a minute, which is bearable for a one-time
operation and could even be done in the background. When I tried the
operation on my iPod Touch, the operation took 20 minutes on the ESV
module, which is obviously unacceptable. I can think of 3 solutions to
the problem at the moment: 1) Distribute the indexes with the modules
in the repository. This would be nice because frontends could take
advantage of CLucene's indexing without having to do the time-
consuming index operation. On the other hand, it would require someone
indexing all of the modules, updating the repository, and adding a
couple megs onto each module that some frontends might not use. Option
2) I could setup my own repository for indexed modules that the iPhone
frontend would download from, but I think there are some licensing
issues with that if I'm not mistaken. Option 3) I setup a repository
from which to download the lucene indexes. I think that the third
option would be best, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on
this issue.

Ian