[sword-devel] New front page CrossWire

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 1 14:58:42 MST 2008

> Thanks for suggesting this. I thought everyones' heart was set on
> Diatheke, I could not bring up the courage to suggest this ;-)

So, are we planning to have any visibility of a command-line tool?

> I agree with logos. But we might not have any for some applications.
> Will look.

I think some of the screenshots are cool, like the handhelds.  Even the
ones where the details are not understandable, they give the idea of the
complexity of the app.  But the simple apps like the mobile versions,
including flashcards and others, give a quick idea of what the app might
look like.  This is just my opinion from a user perspective.  Take it or
leave it.

>> I like DM's suggestion of using platform logos (Tux, an apple, the wavy
>> windows flag, (others?)). I don't think we need to be too specific
>> though. Tux can stand for BSD, Solaris, Linux on PS3s, etc.

> I agree.

Yes, I like the idea of OS logos.  We are entering a new world where OS
isn't necessarily the technical divide.  But I still fear we might
confuse our end users as an expense for having a 'correct'
representation of our software.

Regarding SWORD and JSword.  CrossWire is predominantly an organization
for developers.  My thought behind having these projects at the top but
also keeping the initial details very short, was to cater to our
purpose, yet short enough to not distract from the end user.  Maybe we
could have a section: "For Developers" to make it easy for end users to
know they can skip.

Or maybe a 'For Developers' tab at the top and remove them completely
from the frontpage.  Dunno.  Again, just wanting to express my thoughts
for the way it was initial done.

>> Troy might have a better feel for the current state of Linux on
>> handhelds (QPE/Linux on iPaq). I don't know whether it was necessarily
>> time to remove these yet.
>
> To be honest i always thought this was a hobbyists field - no Linux PDA
> ever made it, Zaurus just (kind of) excepted and now it is dead too.

:) OK, it might be the fact that I wrote QPSword, but just because an
application hasn't been changed recently, doesn't necessarily mean it
shouldn't be on our site.  I actually think it is the most complete UI
we have for a PDA-- supporting all module types.  It should probably be
compiled for the latest engine, and also since Qt has a WinCE version
now, it would be nice to compile it for WinCE, as well... And what about
OLPCs, Nokia handhelds, and other small screen linux devices?

>> The PalmBiblePlus link was there essentially to point people to a Palm
>> Bible project in line with our goals. The UniBible link was added at
>> their request. We wanted to point people *somewhere* since we had
>> decided not to serve PalmOS ourselves. I think we should evaluate
>> whether anyone still uses PalmOS. If so, we should keep these links. If
>> not, we can dump them. My suspicion, given the state of Palm, even as a
>> smartphone manufacturer, is that they aren't very relevant any more.
>
> I would agree.

Being at Tyndale recently, I would say that PDA Bible software is still
dominated by Palm devices.  This may be because David Instone-Brewer
recommends Palms and PalmBible+ to all residents.  Treo smartphones are
split between PalmOS models and WinCE, and the new Centro smartphone is
PalmOS.  I would like to still keep PalmBible+ on our main page, being
sure there is wording which states something like: although not a
CrossWire project...  It also shows good will between our projects.  We
don't wish to duplicate the efforts of a good project already filling a
need which is inline with our purpose.

>> I think BD & Alkitab should definitely go on the main page.
>
> OK.

Yes, positively.

>> More broadly, we might want to go with a 2 column (plus the existing
>> sidebar) layout. As it is, I've got a very long page, but with a lot of
>> whitespace.
>
> I will see what I can do. The current layout is a massive table. I will
> see whether i can get a basic CSS column design going.

Peter, you are our CSS expert now!!! :)

Just in general, my final comments while doing this work would be:

If we are thinking of taking an app off the page, let's use the occasion
as a good excuse to try to reconnect with the developers and see what
they're doing lately.  To let them know that we would love to have them
continue to work together.

Remember our first priority is a developer community.  I think we've
done a poor job in the past emphasising this and broadcasting a "call
for developers" message on our main home page.  But to restate,
developers can be expected to spend a little more time clicking around
our site, if they initially convinced this is a place they want to be;
whereas, end users should be given a VERY quick path to download the
software that will meet their needs.

I guess this one is specific: The Featured Site section was meant to
rotate monthly, quartly, ANNUALLY at least! :)  It was intended to be at
the top and showcase a project-- even projects not at CrossWire but with
whom we collaborate or have similar goals.  I would take the Wiki out
and place it somewhere else.  As an end user who might not know what a
wiki is, I'm not sure where I would expect to see this... Maybe under
"User Contributed Documentation"... hmmm.  Not sure.  Maybe not have a
general 'wiki' entry at all, but individual links to individual sections
of the wiki.... Hmmm.. Just thinking out loud.  Thoughts?

Anyway, Thank you Peter!  For owning this and spending the time to drive
this forward.