[sword-devel] isalnum(3) for i18n

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 22:49:20 MST 2008

Currently, BPBible uses the name in places, as often the description is just
too long.
I think a short abbreviation would be a good idea (which is what the module
name often would be, so it could default to using the module name for
backwards compatibility)

The only problem then would be in generating a module name from the short
abbreviation, if you were creating modules in your frontend.

Also, currently the only restriction in the SWORD source code I can see on
the module name is that it can't contain ].
I don't think any error checking is likely to be done.

God Bless,
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>wrote:

> Is isalnum actually used anywhere in Sword for this check? I think it
> should instead be iscsym, since underscore is also permitted in the
> module ID.
> On Aug 11, 2008, at 8:35 PM, Ben Morgan wrote:
> > Hi Karl,
> >
> > Currently such module names are not "allowed".
> >
> > Quoting from the wiki:
> > Each conf file begins with [name], replacing "name" with be a short
> > well known abbreviation. This must be on the first line, and start
> > the first line. It can only contain A-Z, a-z and 0-9.
> > The name of the file should be the lowercase of this name followed
> > by .conf. For example, [MyModule] would be mymodule.conf.
> The wiki was a little off, so I've made the correction regarding
> underscore. If other characters are valid, I can't think of them, but
> we should add them to the wiki. Hyphen, space, period, and non-ASCII
> letters aren't valid, though.
> >
> > I think foreign languages are hard done by with the module names for
> > two reasons:
> > 1. They can't be non-english
> > 2. They seem to start with a prefix based on the language (e.g.
> > FreBBB, GerAlbrecht, BurJudson).
> > I don't think these prefixes help anything, and they just waste
> > available screen space.
> >
> > Maybe we should prefix every english module with Eng :-) (e.g.
> > EngKJV, EngABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB)
> The rule for Bibles and Commentaries at least, is that texts in
> original languages and English get no language prefix. Texts in other
> languages get prefixes consisting of the first three letters of the
> language, as it is spelled in English.
> There are old exceptions to this rule. For example, the Russian
> Synodal Translation is RST--but it will likely be changed to
> RusSynodal when we do the update. There is also a new exception to
> this rule found in the WBTI modules, which still use a language
> prefix, but use the ISO language code instead of the English name.
> As to the utility of this language prefix, please bear in mind two
> facts:
> 1) There was a time before we added the lang tag to .confs, when the
> prefix helped enormously.
> 2) The module name is intended for use by developers, not necessarily
> for display to users. That's why the constraint is iscsym--to
> facilitate use within code. If you want to suggest the addition of a
> short abbreviation .conf tag, that's a different matter.
> --Chris
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20080812/e673dd22/attachment.html 

More information about the sword-devel mailing list