[sword-devel] Neural Networks and Optical Character Recognition

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 18:47:03 MST 2008

Greg Hellings wrote:
> ... I would imagine that paper->digital conversion is also covered)
> may copyright that transformation. ...

IANAL, but as I understand it, in a nutshell, the US copyright system,
(Who knows outside of that scope), was intended to protect creative
expression not "sweat of the brow" and I am pretty certain not virtual
sweat of the brow. This was confirmed in the Supreme Court case referred
to as Feist. This is not to say that sweat of the brow, virtual or real,
has no protections. There may or may not be protections on a particular
work. Some protections come from international treaties, not home grown
IP laws.

Jerry