[sword-devel] Web Front-end for JSword (iPhone targeted)
greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:06:47 MST 2008
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Jspr <jesuspower at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks neat, though for casual reading, it would be nice to view the entire
At this point there is an option to view the whole chapter at once or
to enter a range of passages to view (manual entry).
> I have been working on a front end also, and I placed it here:
> pocketsword.org. It is not based on JSword though, and JSword may be
> faster(or the computer you are hosting on anyway)?
Your GUI doesn't fully render properly in desktop Safari 3.1 after I
select an option in the first window. It seems that when I click on,
say, Old Testament, that the initial menu never disappears and later
menus are rendered overtop, leading to an illegible selection of
options. However, the interface is very nicely designed and looks
very slick. As for speed, I'm running Tomcat on my MacBook (from
which I am also writing to you), which is a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and has
2GB of RAM (but it's also running all my development, web browsers,
two virtual machines, mail and playing music) and it is hosted off of
my home cable modem. Probably the speed comes from the fact that all
of the verse text itself.
The only things being passed back and forth from the server to client
after the initial JS load is a binary representation of the
selection area - such as an array of book names or an array of numbers
of the chapters in that book. Thus the roundtrips are extremely
minimal, giving the impression of a fast server, when really all the
heavy GUI lifting is done on the client side.
> Greg Hellings wrote:
> > I've thrown together a quick AJAX-based front-end for JSword. I'm
> > aiming to make it look and work nice for iPhone users. We'll see if
> > it works out. Right now it works fine in Safari on the desktop, and
> > also in the iPhone simulator. In the simulator the display of
> > non-ASCII characters seems to fail (specifically the WLC and AraSVD
> > modules with Hebrew and Arabic). I don't know if that's the same on
> > the devices, as I don't have access to one at this time, however, they
> > work fine in desktop Safari.
> > There are still some rough edges with the interface - primarily it
> > doesn't properly detect the books that are in a module at any given
> > moment. It does detect chapters-in-book and verses-in-chapter,
> > though. For now, you just have to assume that if you get to the verse
> > display and there is no text (and no error box), then that module must
> > not support that verse/book. There are also additional GUI tweaks
> > that will be needed to smooth the functioning of it, but this is just
> > a quickly hobbled together patch-up.
> > For the time being you can find the page at
> > http://hellings.is-a-geek.com:8080/jsword-gwtweb/WebInterface.html
> > (provided I did everything properly with DynDNS and my router). The
> > page itself may be up and down, seeing as it's currently hosted on my
> > laptop until I move it onto one of my other machines this weekend.
> > Let me know what you all think.
> > --Greg
> > _______________________________________________
> > sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> > http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> > Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Web-Front-end-for-JSword-%28iPhone-targeted%29-tp16781230p16783590.html
> Sent from the SWORD Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
More information about the sword-devel