[sword-devel] Web Front-end for JSword (iPhone targeted)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:06:47 MST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Jspr <jesuspower at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Looks neat, though for casual reading, it would be nice to view the entire
>  passage.

At this point there is an option to view the whole chapter at once or
to enter a range of passages to view (manual entry).

>  I have been working on a front end also, and I placed it here:
>  pocketsword.org. It is not based on JSword though, and JSword may be
>  faster(or the computer you are hosting on anyway)?

Your GUI doesn't fully render properly in desktop Safari 3.1 after I
select an option in the first window.  It seems that when I click on,
say, Old Testament, that the initial menu never disappears and later
menus are rendered overtop, leading to an illegible selection of
options.  However, the interface is very nicely designed and looks
very slick.  As for speed, I'm running Tomcat on my MacBook (from
which I am also writing to you), which is a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and has
2GB of RAM (but it's also running all my development, web browsers,
two virtual machines, mail and playing music) and it is hosted off of
my home cable modem.  Probably the speed comes from the fact that all
rendering is done on the client side in Javascript with the exception
of the verse text itself.

The only things being passed back and forth from the server to client
after the initial JS load is a binary representation of the
Java/Javascript objects which serve as the text labels for the
selection area - such as an array of book names or an array of numbers
of the chapters in that book.  Thus the roundtrips are extremely
minimal, giving the impression of a fast server, when really all the
heavy GUI lifting is done on the client side.

--Greg