[sword-devel] On the topic of an iPhone front-end

Nathan Youngman junkmail at nathany.com
Wed Apr 16 12:53:41 MST 2008

To use the BibleTool when offline (say, on an iPod touch) would mean
storing data in the client-side SQLite database that the next version
of Mobile Safari (also in desktop Safari 3.1). I expect that may cause
issues as far as module distribution/licensing.

The main disadvantage I see of a web-based solution is concerning user
notes, etc... as entering data would be restricted to web-based forms
for the UI. Maybe those can be styled in a nice way, I'm not sure. But
there are definitely some limitations imposed on the UI design. (not
to mention, designing a web-based UI to look like an iPhone app is
probably more work than just using Interface Builder:).

- nathan

On 16-Apr-08, at 10:56 AM, Greg Hellings wrote:

>> Currently, there is one iPhone interface that does not have this
>> problem: web 2.0 browser interface. If the BibleTool or something
>> like
>> it were adapted for small devices with "grade A" browser support,
>> that
>> would be fantastic.
>
> As I understand it, the iPhone version of Safari is completely unique
> in its dual-faced implementation of a browser.  It tries to imitate a
> full desktop-style browser and then just display the size of the
> iPhone screen at one time.  However, you can also design a web app to
> work specifically with the mobile version of Safari and look almost
> exactly like a native app.  To do so is slightly beyond my ken with
> javascript and/or CSS tasks, but there are a few good Javascript
> toolkits I've used which would make it quite possible.  However, it
> would certainly require a redesign of the whole BibleTool interface.

---
Nathan Youngman
Email: nj at nathany dot com
Web: http://www.nathany.com