[sword-devel] Eloquent/InstallMgr Question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:38:08 MST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Greg Hellings wrote:
>  >>  > I've been trying to install a module into my Mac - I have tried using
>  >>  > the command-line installmgr as well as Eloquent.  Both of them claim
>  >>  > that they have installed the module (installmgr tells me it put it
>  >>  > into ~/.sword/InstallMgr/ftp.crosswire.org/... etc).  When I go to
>  >>  > check both that location as well as the location pointed to by
>  >>  > SWORD_PATH (which would be /sw/share/sword), I can find no indication
>  >>  > of any file installation.  Am I missing something?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --Greg
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  Try looking at ~/Library/Application Support/Sword. This is the proper
>  >>  location for modules on a Mac. I'm not sure we've figured out the
>  >>  sharing yet (i.e. where to put it for multiple users to share the same
>  >>  repository).
>  >>
>  >
>  > It seems that an application-by-application directory would work best,
>  > would it not?  Storing the modules somewhere in the application bundle
>  > seems natural for system-wide installs.
>  If I understand correctly, from a Leopard perspective, the app bundle
>  should be static. Basically, a bundle should be signed. (I think this is
>  an iPhone requirement) And thus, modules can't be installed into it.
>

>  >   Granted, this would be
>  > troublesome for sharing between, say, BibleDesktop and MacSword.
>  > Putting them in /Library/Application Support/Sword for global installs
>  > and ~/Library/Application Support/Sword would make sense.
>  This makes sense to me, too.  It is simple enough to modify Eloquent and
>  BibleDesktop to also look there to find modules.
>
>  But how would one install to /Library/Application Support/Sword (the
>  global area, not owned by a particular user)?

It would have to be done with Administrator/root privileges.  sudo on
the command line works, as does the authorization window that OS X
brings up (not sure if that's automatic at the time an attempted write
is made or if it needs to be done programatically) for GUI users.

>  I wonder if /home/shared/Library/Application Support/Sword should be the
>  global location? It should be world writable.

True, I had forgotten that location.  I guess it depends on if we want
all users to have global read/write access or only administrators.
>From a personal perspective it makes sense that only Administrators
have read/write access to globally-intended data, but why not allow
the user to make the choice?  We could have installmgr (as well as
Eloquent and BibleDesktop) conform to a slight modification of the
environment variables.  We could have one called SWORD_MODULES_GLOBAL
and SWORD_MODULES_USER or some such similar naming scheme.  Then the
command-line installer could be compatible across the platforms, and
the user could choose their desired behavior.

>  >   It's not
>  > really significantly different than the default Linux behavior of
>  > having globally installed modules in /usr/local/share/sword and
>  > user-specific modules in ~/.sword/.
>  >
>  > For an iPhone application, it seems from all early indications that
>  > they're going to restrict usage (at least for "proper" programs
>  > written with the sanctioned API) of the disk to locations within the
>  > application bundle, but I would imagine that system is going to be so
>  > specific that it won't really matter much, since there is unlikely to
>  > be a plethora of front-ends for the iPhone.
>  I'd be surprised if the app bundle allows for it to be both signed and
>  modifiable. My guess is that there is a different location that an app
>  can write files.
>

>  >   However, it might be
>  > possible to have access to the "user" directory on the iPhone - which
>  > would be the better installation location, does it seem for that
>  > platform, provided multiple options are available?
>
>  My guess is that Apple provides some guidance on this. I haven't looked
>  for this regarding the iPhone.

I'm not far enough into the docs yet to know the answer to this.  It's
one of the main things I'm keeping my eyes open for.

--Greg