[sword-devel] Eloquent/InstallMgr Question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:13:33 MST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greg Hellings wrote:
>  > I've been trying to install a module into my Mac - I have tried using
>  > the command-line installmgr as well as Eloquent.  Both of them claim
>  > that they have installed the module (installmgr tells me it put it
>  > into ~/.sword/InstallMgr/ftp.crosswire.org/... etc).  When I go to
>  > check both that location as well as the location pointed to by
>  > SWORD_PATH (which would be /sw/share/sword), I can find no indication
>  > of any file installation.  Am I missing something?
>  >
>  > --Greg
>  >

>  Try looking at ~/Library/Application Support/Sword. This is the proper
>  location for modules on a Mac. I'm not sure we've figured out the
>  sharing yet (i.e. where to put it for multiple users to share the same
>  repository).

It seems that an application-by-application directory would work best,
would it not?  Storing the modules somewhere in the application bundle
seems natural for system-wide installs.  Granted, this would be
troublesome for sharing between, say, BibleDesktop and MacSword.
Putting them in /Library/Application Support/Sword for global installs
and ~/Library/Application Support/Sword would make sense.  It's not
really significantly different than the default Linux behavior of
having globally installed modules in /usr/local/share/sword and
user-specific modules in ~/.sword/.

For an iPhone application, it seems from all early indications that
they're going to restrict usage (at least for "proper" programs
written with the sanctioned API) of the disk to locations within the
application bundle, but I would imagine that system is going to be so
specific that it won't really matter much, since there is unlikely to
be a plethora of front-ends for the iPhone.  However, it might be
possible to have access to the "user" directory on the iPhone - which
would be the better installation location, does it seem for that
platform, provided multiple options are available?

--Greg