[sword-devel] osis2mod change

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Sep 25 16:40:39 MST 2007

As Chris has said, the original purpose for LZSS was to support STEP, but it
is a fully supported compression type of the SWORD engine.  I see no reason
to remove it.  Size, speed, and memory usage, together should determine if
you should use LZSS over ZIP.  The advantage of using smaller compression
chunks is much less memory usage.  For micro devices, chapter compression
might be much better, and thus LZSS would be more appropriate.  You should
try running `time sword/examples/cmdline/search FreJND-1 "God love world"`
on your modules and see if there is any noticable difference in speed.  You
might need to check search.cpp and be sure its latest incarnation is using
multiword or phrase type searching.  There should be a comment in the short
test program to say how to switch the search type.  Either of these types
will iterate the entire module (exercising the uncompress for every chunk).
 It's usually a good speed test and a practical operation likely to happen
often in an end user application.

Thanks for the interesting stats!

   -Troy.