[sword-devel] OT: project issues (was: Re: single-user vs. multi-user installations, modules and packaging)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Sep 23 06:55:42 MST 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
> > I don't think it's realistic to suppose that this project had strict
> > processes, organization, world class documentation writers, QA etc.
>
> I didn't disagree as to today's state;
> I asked why "Sword *doesn't have to be* as professional."

I tried to answer that question. Sorry my bad English. It doesn't have
to be as professional as Qt or Java because it would be unrealistic with
these resources. Let's put it this way: KDE has world class developers
and yet its documentation is inferior to Qt's. We could be as good as
any noncommercial Open Source project. To reach that state we would need
better processes, organization, QA etc. And more developers.

Crosswire does not take any money, it can not hire staff. There are no
fulltime developers.  Every project here could use more developers.
There just aren't enough. Therefore, unless a miracle happens, we cannot
be at the level of the more popular projects within some years.

There have been talk about renewing the web pages etc. Nothing has
happened. We can and we should do better. By saying "doesn't have to be
as professional" means that we don't have to be at the level of the
commercial companies who produce some of the best software products in
the world. Yet we could and should reorganize our actions and goals
better. I told what I see to be important for a software library:
documentation.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland