[sword-devel] Getting started on sword coding

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Sep 2 13:12:05 MST 2007

Lyndon,

I've been reworking our flashcard generation tools to work with DM's
newest release of our KJV module.

In the process, I've been trying to break out methods which might have
future use by frontends who may wish to add a user interface to let
users generate their own quizzes over selected verse ranges, etc.

Anyway, I've been bouncing between this and trying to get 1.5.10 of the
engine out this holiday weekend, and I'm pretty burned out.  It's been
good though, helping me find a couple bugs in the engine for this release.

So, all this to say, it doesn't work yet.  It is a fairly small,
self-contained client of the engine.  It might be a good place for you
to jump in and see how a typical client might utilize the engine,
including build system, etc.  I thought the code was done last night,
but looking at the output this morning, it doesn't work.

If you'd like to pick this up and try to find the error of my ways,
you'd be a great help to me.  If interested, you'll need sword svn
installed, the KJV module, and then the sword-tools repo where this
utility lives:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/
http://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/

Here's the actual path directly to this project, so you can browse a bit
before deciding if you want to jump in:
http://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/flashtools/

A couple things I noticed don't work:

Look in main(): only the first call 'works'; subsequent calls seem to
produce no lessons.

I added some (overly) simple checks for the greek article (G3588) which
don't seem to do what we want.  We don't want to produce 'WORD: [+
G3588] TRANSLATION' all over the place just because a word is combined
with the article (most nouns at some point are obviously combined with
the article).  The [ + OTHER WORDS ] syntax should be reserved for
useful word combinations.  We still want to count frequencies of the
article, but not include it in the combination algorithm.

Thanks for considering.  Welcome!

	-Troy.