[sword-devel] AmTract Encoding

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Oct 25 16:20:48 MST 2007

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> I still continue a bit on this issue.
>
>>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1:
>
> ISO 8859-1 is not the same as ISO-8859-1. According to article Latin1 is
> the former, not the latter. Windows-1252 is not either. "In
> Windows-1252, codes between 0x80 and 0x9F are used for letters and
> punctuation, whereas they are control codes in ISO-8859-1."

"Latin1" isn't, strictly speaking, anything. Like I said, "Latin-1" is
informally ISO 8859-1 . "latin1" is actually registered with IANA as an
alias for ISO-8859-1 (the character set).

Latin-1 is the basis of both ISO-8859-1 and Windows CP1252 (see the end
of the first paragraph of that page).

> I think this is not only an annoyance but it may be a dangerous
> situation, meaning that it may not only break the visual appearance with
> wrong characters but it may cause some side effects - maybe even crash a
> program?. Therefore it is important to not give any possibility for
> confusion.

I think this is a bit alarmist. I doubt that you could find an
application that handles the C1 control codes at all. Even if one did,
it is difficult to imagine any kind of dangerous result of
misinterpretation.

--Chris