[sword-devel] .conf files encoding/tags

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 8 04:28:46 MST 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> > copy changes something for the user. Metadata changes don't affect users.
>
> Certainly they do, which is why I mentioned BAO in particular.  The lack
> of a version increment means that users will not learn that the new .conf
> now contains metadata which affects whether the module will be seen in
> module lists that are specific to newly-defined module categories.

Karl is right. They could be for example licence change or something
else quite important. Or even some factual errors which get fixed. Some
modules may stay unchanged for years, it would be quite stupid to let
the end users have inferior .conf files.

One solution would be to add a .conf file version field into the .conf
file. It could be added automatically right now in all files: the
version number would initially be the module version number + .0. For
example MyMOD 1.1 module would have conf version 1.1.0. When the conf is
updated it would become 1.1.1. When the module version number encreased
into 1.2 the conf version would be 1.2.0.

This would require no changes to the library or frontends but would make
it possible for the frontends to report the changes to the end user.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland