[sword-devel] OLPC activities not OLPC rejection Re: olpc discussion

avolunteer DrStovallFoundation pythondrs at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 06:56:24 MST 2007

Please let me help you develop a somewhat familar and
somewhat different thought pattern if you want to work
with me or others to develop activities which will be
accepted into the activity repositories of One Laptop
Per Child.

The Bible was written so that people could follow the
instructions in it in order to live life as God intended
and have eternal life.  Following instructions, imitating
others, and participating in discovery learning are all
activities that a child can enjoy while becoming a
better person.  In OLPC terminology this is playful
learning.  Reading is an activity but for most children
it is not playful learning unless it is enhanced with
goals, feedback, and the other crudements of enjoyment
and education which enhanced and indeed made possible
by computers and in particular the One Laptop Per Child.

Many of the best web pages are put together by a team
that may include a business manager who is not able to do
web design or programming, a programmer who is unable to
do business management or web design, and a web designer
who is unable to do business management or programming.
Playful learning Bible software that will be put into the
repositories of laptop.org or the other repositories from
which a child will check out an activity will most likely
be put together by a team.  A very multi-talented person
might be able to build a few Bible-based playful learning
activities which would pass the strict scrutiny of
repository authorities who would otherwise reject anything
from believers.  Solomon said there is wisdom in an
abundance of counselors.  The need for multiple counselors
and multiple talents increases as undertakings become
bigger, more difficult, and more important.

At Pycon 2007, some Python experts worked with me on the
simple task of using discovery learning to identify what
huge mess of English spellings are used in traditional
orthography to represent each of the sounds in one dialect
of English.  The phonology of Japanese as it existed a few
decades ago was described with 8 rules.  I was told that
someone wrote 31 pages of rules for English then gave up.
I still view it as a simple task compared to the traveling
salesman problem.  Although I am not sure of a perfect
solution, obviously partial solutions exist with computer
assistance that are better and faster than what a child
could do without computer assistance.  However in working
with this simple task we quickly discovered ways to make
it much more playful and much more educational if we had
the benefit of a bottom-up data-driven parser.  Although
data-driven parsers have been written in other languages
it has a much greater chance of acceptance by OLPC if it
is written in Python so that the child can use discovery
learning for the dialect of Arabic, English, Japanese,
or Zzuluwahali which the child is learning.  If it is in
Python then the child can hit the button intended to help
the child learn the computer program source behind the
computer assistance which the child is receiving to most
easily move from the sounds of the language to the proper
spelling of those sounds.  So I am looking for programmers
better than I, to help me construct a data-driven Python
parser plus the playful learning ways to use it to help
the OLPC users for this simple task and much more complex
playful learning activities using the words, the discourse
structure, and the other attributes which make the Bible
the world's best selling book.

The strongest plank in the OLPC human interface
is that it will run activities for children not applications.
GnomeSword, BibleTime and other Sword applications are great
applications for mature Bible truth seekers who are have
been raised where they often hear the world's best selling
most quoted book.  These applications are designed to search
for terms that the truth seeker has heard or to just enable
someone to read the Bible who has access to a computer with
sufficient memory.

Ages ago, I taught high-school history while studying for
my first graduate degree.  I used to teach those students
that the world has undergone 4 great stages of learning.
#1 God spoke to the most ancient prophets.  Only a very
few people heard, obeyed, and reaped the benefits.  #2
God had Moses write down His Message.  Most of a whole
nation and occassionaly some people from other nations,
sometimes studied, obeyed, and reaped the benefits of that
Message.  #3 Jesus Christ completed His work on earth
and the Holy Spirit descended, the early church was busy
every day in every house doing and teaching that same
Message and how it must penetrate and change every activity
of every believer.  This revolution spread until it was
heard by every creature.  But then it the dark ages came
when only the religious leaders studied the Message.  #4
When the Message was printed, it spread resulting in
universities, hospitals, and even the United States of
America being built by people who wanted to obey that
Message and reap the benefits of obedience.

Now #5 is before us.  The computer enables the Message to
be spread with enjoyable activities.  People who do not
care to read the printed Bible could become addicted to
spending a little time every day in enjoyable Bible
learning activities with some of my designs.  I once did
a project which was shown at the National Computer
Conference with the assistance of only two programmers.
Both of them started by saying the project was not
possible without a larger much better educated team and a
timeline of no less than 1250% of the available time before
NCC.  It involved the use of the most sophisticated
compiler-compiler available to me at the time.  Yes, a
data-driven parser in Python or any other language is
more difficult.  But we can do it and many other things
before OLPC is widely distributed if we will believe and
use everything God will supply.

If you do not know anything about what I have said thusfar
but you know how to read and respond to e-mail, please
contact me at the e-mail address of this post.  This post
is already too long.  But I will make another post to show
how you could use the Sword to develop a OLPC activity
that could be accepted into a few local OLPC repositories.

Thank you for your attention.  I hope we can help each
other to use Python to get into the best OLPC repositories.
If you cannot, then I hope that you will use my upcoming
design to get something you do into some repositories.
My little love and God's BIG LOVE,
a volunteer, DrStovallFoundation.com